Thursday 31 January 2013

Subjects, classes and workload

My first sub-post to 'Sixth Form'

There are so many subjects to choose from at A-level. No joke. You can do anything for theatre studies to criminology to media to law. There is literally a subject for everyone, however, I understand that A-levels are not for everyone.

Myself, I do Maths, French, Geography and dance. I know the selection is pretty broad and very odd but I'd like to think I'm a bit random myself  therefore the perfect selection for me! That and I don't have a scooby of what I am to do once I leave. And I don't want to pigeon-hole myself at 16. However, if you do know what you want to do and know what qualifications you need, then go for it! Choose a strong, formidable set of subjects. Like, history, law,  English language and English literature. They tend to go well together, I've heard. Another combo is Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. You know, if you're into that sort of thing. 

I know a bit about a few different subjects other than my own so I'm going to give a brief (and honest) little sentence or two on them. Please correct me if I am wrong because obviously I don't take all of these. 

MATHS
Big step up from GCSE, less of a step if you do/did additional., requires a lot of revision and a lot of homework. My favourite subject
GEOGRAPHY
Some bit you'll know from GCSE, others you wont. A lot of detail, a lot of things to remember. Exams are brutal.
DANCE
Don't enjoy as much as the others, not to be compared to CATs, ATPs and dance schools outside of sixth form. Theory is a lot to remember which both artistic and scientific topics
FRENCH
Very hard. Lots of outside work like reading, listening etc to be done in own time. Exams are okay, but the writing is part of the exam. A lot of enthusiasm and initiative needed, I feel.
BIOLOGY
Once again, quite hard. Long lLatin names to be learnt, very detailed in complex processes
CLASSIC CIVILISATION (CLASSICS)
Lots and lots of work, lots of reading and up to 30 mark questions in the exam .. not my choice!
FINE ART
Very time consuming, it will become your life. Deadlines to meet, tasks to complete, stress and extreme amounts of homework. My friends and a lot of other tend to work through their breaks and into a lot of hours at home.

That's as much as I can give sufficient information on :). I might add that all subjects will require you to do lots of homework, lots of revision, lots of unset homework which you are expected to do outside of class. And if you miss a class, you must catch up the work you missed and homework before the next lesson. 

As for the classes, all the ones I take, the crack/banter is pretty good. Lots of friendly new people I've met. 

HINT: In your first class if you are alone, see where there are spare seats, and where other people are sitting alone. Then the next lesson you can sit next to them and make friends. It worked for me. If you are extremely brave (or late) sit next to someone where there is a seat in the first class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment